Whenever the kids get sick what do we usually think of? Hospitals or synthetic medications, right? Because we hate looking at our young ones being down with sickness or seeing them in pain that we want to give them immediate relief. Because it hurts us, too. Well, that could pass as a justification.
But come to think of it, don't you know that these medications are rarely (to zero) tested on babies? This means that the repercussions can be quite dark and unpredictable. Be careful.
Last week, we talked about how to give herbal teas to the kids. This blog post is quite relevant to that. Today, I am going to share with you some ideas on how to detox your medicine cabinets by replacing over-the-counter (OTC) drugs and prescription medications with natural remedies for kids' common illnesses.
- Warm Lemon Water - if you have the fresh fruit, go squeeze it and mix with raw honey.
- Cinnamon - mix 2-3 drops of Cinnamon Spice Drops with 1 teaspoon of raw honey and put it into lukewarm or hot water to make a spicy and very effective tea that helps relieve cough and congestion and lower your body temperature.
- 1 drop of oregano oil diluted with a bit of coconut oil and rubbed under the feet several times in a day.
Illness: Ear Infection
- Cut an onion bulb in half and bake until you can start to smell it. Let it cool in a tolerable temperature to the bare hands. Gently apply it to the kid's inner ears, with the child lying down. Tie it close to the inner ear lobes when done, to really take advantage of the strong antiviral properties of the onion.
- In the same process used with the onion, you may replace it with the combination of oatmeal, rice or sea salt and bake the mixture until it becomes warm. Careful not to burn it. Use it as a heat pack applying it under the affected ear.
- Apply clothes soaked with apple cider vinegar (ACV), lemon juice or egg whites to the feet ( and put socks on top).
- However, if your child is under 8 weeks old, consider going to the hospital especially if the fever has no known symptoms or if it lasts longer than 5 days.
- Onset the pain of stomachache, prevent it from escalating by sipping a mixture of water, apple cider vinegar, and activated charcoal (water and the ACV should be in equal parts). This absorbs and helps expel the bacteria that caused poisoning.
- Rehydrate the child's body with fresh lemon, raw honey, or pink salt. These also help balance the system.
Illness: Tooth Pain
- Clove essential oil is the best choice of herbalists when it comes to treating teething or tooth pains.
- Another option would be German chamomile or Frankincense. These are highly safe for babies and kids.
Illness: Upset Stomach/Diarrhea/Constipation
- Put a teaspoon of lemon juice or raw apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink this several times a day. This helps the tummy achieve better digestion.
- Use probiotics. It helps balance the gut.
Any other kids' common illnesses that you would like to know the treatment of? Or do you have a suggestion or alternative to the ones I listed above? Please feel free to comment below. I would really like to hear about your own natural ways of healing the little ones, too. Keep posted and 'til next! xoxo